Paint Spring weather is here and its warm enough to paint. I cleaned the inside of the boat, painted the other half of the kitchen (half was painted last year). It takes a minimum of two coats of the fresh white to cover up the yellowed white from 13+ years ago. I then cleaned some…
New canvas is on its way. The inspiration for the new canvas is a traditional navy cap. The colour will be changing from green to black. No zipper for adding panels to enclose the area. A 6″ panel will be added and it will be decorated with a ribbon.
Had to tighten the mast bolts. Work light made me realize that it was time to freshen up the paint. Fortunately the wall cabinets were easily removed.
Warm weather is going to get harder to find as we head toward fall. So I have been getting varnish work done.
Circled back to the annual maintenance. I had to use vice-grips to crack the bolts on the impeller cover – but it came off ok. The impeller turned out to be like-new. I replaced it, and the O-ring, anyway. I need to look at the Raycor fuel filter, grease a bunk bearing on the prop….
I was pulling away from the dock at Chatter Box Falls when I noticed that one of my fenders was still out. I tried to pull it up but it was too difficult for me to get at it with the canoe strapped to the side. In my effort to do this I pulled off…
As I contemplate the work to re-varnish Merva I come to the boat house and better protecting Merva from the sun. I have decided to start to ‘button up’ the boathouse. I started this with replacing some of the more deteriorated plywood on the sunny side.
Getting ready for a cruise to Chatter Box falls. Depart around March 20th. First order of business is to get parts. I went looking for replacements for the house batteries (2x Trojan T-125 Plus) but could not find any locally. So picked a pair of ‘Interstate’ equivalents. They are about 10-15% poorer on the spec….
A very talented woodworker made a pair of benches for the cockpit. These are removable but remain in the usual case. A bit of cosmetic work done. The anchor locker hatch and for-deck skylight were stripped and varnished. The capping board was repainted.