Circled back to the annual maintenance. I had to use vice-grips to crack the bolts on the impeller cover – but it came off ok. The impeller turned out to be like-new. I replaced it, and the O-ring, anyway.
I need to look at the Raycor fuel filter, grease a bunk bearing on the prop. shaft, and find out if I have zincs embedded in the raw water cooling system. I can call the ‘annual’ done at that point.
I was pulling away from the dock at Chatter Box Falls when I noticed that one of my fenders was still out. I tried to pull it up but it was too difficult for me to get at it with the canoe strapped to the side. In my effort to do this I pulled off one of the hand rail posts and very nearly ended up in the ‘drink’.
I pulled the boat back to the dock and took care of the fender.
Now at home so I decided to do the repair. I scrounged up 4, slightly larger, screws. I decided that, in this case, a bit of PL adhesive was warranted.
The screws are a bit proud but it is worth it. I think if it gets yanked out again it will take a section of the roof with it.
at dock, ‘out-station’ Narrows Inlet (joined by a friend/boat)
Chatter Box Falls (joined by more friends/boat)
Chatter Box Falls (1 friend/boat left on 2nd morning)
Chatter Box Falls (last friend/boat peeled off at Egmont)
I cut the trip short by at least 2 days as I was needed at home. So I made the trip home (Tillicum Marina) from Chatter Box Falls in one long leg (with a pause/drifting at Sechelt Rapids for about 30 minutes). \
As I contemplate the work to re-varnish Merva I come to the boat house and better protecting Merva from the sun. I have decided to start to ‘button up’ the boathouse. I started this with replacing some of the more deteriorated plywood on the sunny side.
Getting ready for a cruise to Chatter Box falls. Depart around March 20th. First order of business is to get parts. I went looking for replacements for the house batteries (2x Trojan T-125 Plus) but could not find any locally. So picked a pair of ‘Interstate’ equivalents. They are about 10-15% poorer on the spec. sheet but about 30% cheaper. Even still I would have preferred the Trojan batteries.
I installed the ‘Interstate’ batteries without a hitch.