I finished cleaning out the windlass then bought some ½” square steel bar stock, cut it to length, drilled the hole for a spring and shaped the end to fit the gear. It matches the existing brake pawl minus the broken-out hole. I hope it works (I’m waiting for a new spring.)
Installed the Starboard side grabrail the Port side grabrail goes in this week.
Even though I had finished the butterfly hatch the combing had to wait until the weather warmed up to do a bit of gluing, staining/varnishing and painting. Finally, everything is complete.
Now that the grabrail was in I could install the interior trim around the drop window. One more to go and the wheelhouse is finished for now.