Merva’s raw water pump had an on-going leak out the back and had build-up a bit of corrosion around the seal between the pump and the engine body. I debated whether to replace the pump (the expensive option or just buy an O-ring gasket.) I opted for a new pump. The old pump came out easily and the new one went in, but not quickly because I kept dropping tools into the bilge. Started the engine and it pumps beautifully. I have to say I really like this engine.
A small job on Erin, Merva’s skiff was to sand out the transom that had some gouges in it. I couldn’t go to deep with the sanding, but it looks a bit better. It now has the stain and first gloss coat on it.
I made a new flat panel for the back of wheelhouse. It is made of two pieces that were slid in past each other and glued in place. Next time I’m down I’ll do a light sanding and finish.
Finally, a new lantern/name boards for Merva. The boards are rough cut to length and width, and the name is carved. I found a guy that has a CNC machine that carves wooden signs. It took him less than an hour to carve it once I showed him what size letters and font I wanted. I’ll make a short top that will go over the lights and long base board, then install the lights. I have a set of period glass lenses that I will work. The 1932 isn’t working so it will go, kind of too bad.