This week was devoted to repairing and rebuilding Merva’s hatches. As I said last time the galley hatch leaked badly. So, I removed the hatch then its combing. At some time in the past the combing must have been stepped on. There was a crack along the forward portion of the frame. In addition, while removing the combing parts of the bottom came away. It had been bedded with 5200. So, what you’re seeing here is a new base for the combing being glued to the original combing frame. This is what they mean by “never enough clamps”.
This is the repaired combing. Now has a wider foot (2)” that I hope will give it a better bedding area.
The hatch and combing are now finished and only need to be installed. But first I must clean up the canvas around the hatch opening. The hatch has new glass stops that are part of the frame for the bronze rods. I also fitted the hatch with new hinges.
I removed the Butterfly hatch and have begun the process of making wood stops for the glass, repairing the split frames and building a new bottom 5/8” deep where the 5200, once again wouldn’t let go and tore out wood along the bottom. Fortunately the combing isn’t damaged but will need a lot of cleaning to get the remaining 5200 off. I was able to make a jig that allowed me to run the hatch through the table saw. That gave me a clean square surface to glue a new bottom to the hatch and cut new dove tail joints to match the existing joints and a new rabbet that should match the combing.
Not everything was about hatched. This is a new leeboard for the forepeak.