Refinishing Merva’s pilot house windows and doors. The door panel is glued back together but the crack will always show. The hardware has been cleaned and after a few more coats of finish the hardware can be installed.
Interior of the drop window. Despite its age the teak is beautiful or maybe it’s because it is old teak. I’ve decided I like the oiled teak look on the interior. If it doesn’t work, it should be simple to varnish.
The curved window on the starboard of the wheelhouse is coming along nicely. I think this maybe the first time it has been out since Merva was built. All the wood around the window is dry and there is no sign water or rot.
I’ve decided to do the windows and doors on one side of the wheelhouse at a time so as not to get confused and overwhelmed.
On our way home in Merva we realized the hatch over the galley leaked badly. Its not fun cooking under a dripping hatch. So, after close examination, I decided to keep only the hatch frame the deck frame and glass. I’m rebuilding the rest. This is the dry fit for the new wood frame over the glass. The supports at the ends act as part of the glass frame and support the bronze rods that protect the glass. I haven’t drilled the holes for the rods yet. I also pulled off the deck frame (lots of 5200) and am repairing it.
The hatch for the Anchor Locker came out well. A friend gave me a set of hatch supports that look period and work well.